I am not an advocate for frequent changes in laws and constitutions. But laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind.
Thomas Jefferson (1743 – 1826)
The Vue Post on Law & Lawyers
Please see below a selection of links to free legal services and online resources.
Free legal services
- Community Legal Centres – community legal centres are independent, community organisations that provide free legal services to the public.
- Pro Bono Legal Referral Schemes – various pro bono legal referral schemes are in existence in all States and Territories, usually facilitated by law societies, bar associations and/or public interest law clearing houses.
- Justice Connect – formerly known as the Public Interest Law Clearing House (PILCH) NSW and Victoria, this amalgamated organisation bridges the justice gap by linking individuals and not for profit organisations with legal and other professional advisors who are willing to address issues of concern in the community on a pro bono basis. There is an equivalent organisation in existence in Queensland as well.
Free legal resources
- AUSTLII – this online portal provides free access to Australian legal materials, including legislation and case law.
- FindLaw Australia – this free online search will help you to locate lawyers anywhere in Australia, by category of issues (e.g. bail applications, immigration, etc.)
- Law Society of NSW – The Law Society of NSW site offers a search engine for solicitors in NSW and other information, including a series of ‘Know Your Rights’ publications which are easy-to-follow guides to solving everyday legal problems from problems with neighbours to problems with debt.
- Law societies operate in all States and Territories and provide a range of useful information to the public: Victoria, Queensland, South Australia, Western Australia, Tasmania, NT and ACT.
The Vue Post YouTube Law & Lawyers Playlist